Title 24 FAQ

Below you will find a list of Title 24 frequently asked questions (FAQs).

1. What do you need to complete my Title 24 compliance report?

In order to provide you with a California Title 24 energy compliance report, we will need the full set of plans for your new structure or the addition to an existing. The plans should include the following:

  • Total area of new/existing construction
  • Door & window locations/sizes
  • AC & heating system types
  • Hot water heater type/size
  • Lighting plans/lighting fixture schedules
  • Address of property
  • Directional compass
  •  Contact information

2. How can I submit my project information to you?

You can simply e-mail or fax it to us. We can also provide you FTP access, if you prefer to upload your drawings to our secure server. If you are local, you may drop off your plans at our office conveniently located in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley).

3. How much time you need to perform Title 24 calculation and provide me with the reports?

Once we obtain all the necessary information from you, we can complete your project in 1-2 business days. Expedited and same day Title 24 service is available upon request.

4. At what point do I need to have a Title 24 compliance report?

Your California Title 24 compliance documentation should be provided to your local building department before your building permits are issued. This Title 24 report is needed when you build a new home, add an addition to an existing home, or alter the mechanical equipment or lighting in a commercial property.

5. When should I obtain a Title 24 report?

The proper time for Title 24 calculations is after your project decisions have been finalized. Energy calculations can be done if your window and door manufacturer hasn’t been chosen yet, but your most accurate Title 24 calculations will be after your specific fenestration products have been selected. You should have also made your heating and air conditioning choices. Hiring a Title 24 consultant is normally the last step before your plans are submitted to the building department.

6. Does our Title 24 report need to be displayed in our building?

No, this is not required.

7. When is a lighting Title 24 required?

For commercial projects, a Title 24 lighting report is needed when light system is modified (added, removed or relocated). Lighting Title 24 is also required if the type of occupancy in the building has changed.

8. Should a licensed CABEC or certified mechanical engineer perform my Title 24 calculations?

While not required by law, it’s recommended that your Title 24 energy calculations be performed by a licensed consultant who is familiar with California energy compliance code and calculation.

9. What residential buildings are considered high rises?

A high-rise building in terms of Title 24 standards would be a residence with four or more habitable floors.

10. If residential units are built over retail spaces in a building over four stories, would they fall under the Title 24 Residential Standards?

As over four stories is considered a high-rise, the residential space is governed by Nonresidential (High-rise Residential) Title 24 Standards.

11. Would a four-story single-family townhouse fall under non-residential or residential standards?

Considered a Group R-3 occupancy, this structure would fall under Residential Standards, as opposed to Commercial Title 24. It would not be considered an apartment house, if it doesn’t have three or more dwelling units.

12. Do Residential Standards apply if nothing new is added during a home remodeling project?

Yes, you must still comply with the relevant mandatory measures. All residential energy compliance requirements should be met.

13. If I’m not adding square footage, why do I need to show Title 24 compliance?

Renovations such as alteration of doors or windows can still change the structure’s energy usage, and therefore, Title 24 reports should be generated.